IPEG, short for International Political Economy Group, was formed in 1971 on the initiative of Susan Strange, then with the Royal Institute of International Affairs at Chatham House. It received a limited amount of funding from the Economic and Social Research Council of the UK in 1974, and became affiliated with the British International Studies Association (BISA) after that organisation was founded in 1974. IPEG has functioned continuously since 1971 except for a brief interval in the late 1980s, and counts among its past Convenors the likes of Susan Strange, Fred Hirsch, Roger Tooze, Geoffrey Underhill, Randall Germain, Rorden Wilkinson, Nicola Phillips, Paul Langley and Stuart Shields. Phoebe Moore is the current Convenor.
Purposes and Activities of IPEG
The most important feature and dimension of this Working Group is that we bring discussions about the most important elements impacting lives in the context of our contemporary global political economy. To bring our cutting edge research ideas and research into discussion with a wide range of scholars and practitioners, IPEG members run workshops and events, organise and participate in panels at BISA Conferences every year, publish work in our Discussion Papers series and get involved with this tremendously active research working group. For a full explanation see our Purposes and Activities page.
IPEG Book Prize
IPEG awards a book prize every year for a monograph published in the previous calendar year. Ian Bruff is the current Book Prize Chair. Find out more by reading the book prize mission statement.
IPEG2014 annual conference IPE and the New Normal: Open Conflict After the Crash programme ready! See you in Leeds 05-06/09/14!
IPEG Book Prize 2014 Winner announced!
Newsletter 2014 now available!
Shortlist IPEG Book Prize 2014!
Video of IPEG/BLT Education meets Neoliberalism and the Political Economy of Precarity available here
IPEG 2014 Leeds: IPE and the New Normal Call for Papers
All IPEG panels proposed for BISA 2014 accepted
- 12/05/14 IPEG/SPERI Workshop: Forced Labour
- 02/04/14 BISA IPEG Workshop: Which Economy and What Crisis?
- 14/02/14 BISA IPEG and BLT Workshop: Education Meets Neoliberalism and the Political Economy of Precarity
- 11/12/13 BISA IPEG Workshop: Beyond Troubled Engagements? Feminist Challenges to ‘critical’ IPE
- 15/11/13 BISA IPEG Workshop: Financial Resilience in the Wake of the Crisis
- IPEG Annual Conference 2013 Austerity, Crisis and Social Fallout
- IPEG members ran five excellent IPEG panels at BISA 2013 Beyond the Ivory Tower conference this year. IPEG Panels BISA 2013
- IPEG Newsletter, Spring 2013
- 15 November 2013 IPEG Workshop: Financial Resilience in the Wake of the Crisis
- Dr Phoebe Moore contributed an update of IPEG’s activities since she became convenor to the latest International Studies Today Volume 2 Issue 1 October 2012. She has also written the piece “Network of Educators in Support of a Public University Expanding Rapidly” for this edition. IST is BISA‘s flagship magazine publication.
- See a longer list of previous events and activities here